1. It's a good idea to figure out how much space you have before you decide which chess board is right for you. Chess boards are available in a variety of sizes ranging from a compact 15 inches to more expansive 28-inch sizes.
2. Once you've narrowed down your size needs, take a look at the different chess board materials. Traditional chess boards are typically constructed of marble or a hardwood like walnut or rosewood.
3. Stone and marble chess boards are extremely sturdy and can give a sense of elegance and permanence to the room in which they're displayed.
4. Wooden chess boards are a traditionally beautiful option for newcomers and chess enthusiasts. Many wooden chess boards also come with storage drawers that make it easy to store and keep track of your chess pieces after the game is finished.
5. If you're looking for a more contemporary, unique chess board, check out some of the newer materials. We've got leather chess boards, and boards made of brass, glass, or molded resin. Plastic chess boards are a more durable, less expensive option for those just starting to play.
6. Themed chess boards can take your game to a whole new dimension. Pay homage to the medieval atmosphere a game of chess conveys by investing in a chess board with a detailed castle or gothic motif.
7. Give your game the status it deserves by choosing a chess board with pedestal feet or supports that lift the board off the table. This elevation will create a more dramatic presentation and display.
8. Chess boards are as much about beauty as they are about function. A unique, elegant chess board crafted from wood, marble, or leather will add a touch of sophistication to your home and become a real conversation piece at your next gathering.
9. Think about longevity when selecting a chess board. A plastic chess board is great for everyday use, but a more sophisticated boards and pieces make fantastic family heirlooms, and can be passed down from generation to generation.